Are you afraid to take your foot off the gas?
“But Diana, I’m afraid to take my foot off the gas.” “If I slow down, I’m afraid that my business will fall apart.” “If I don’t push myself all the time, I won’t hit my goals.” “If I’m not hard on myself I won’t lose weight.” “If I’m not pushing myself, I’ll never get anything done.”
I hear these beliefs so often in coach calls and workshops and certainly have struggled with this when I started my business 3 years ago. It may be why you and I feel some resistance when it comes to taking really good care of our physical and mental health. This mindset can create feelings of being stuck, not having enough time, and not being worth it when it comes to decisions around food, exercise and rest.
So, if this resonates with you, take a deep breath right here and know that this is VERY COMMON. Simple steps can be taken to unlock this lack of motivation in our lives around eating well and taking great care to get enough rest and movement in our lives. (and don’t believe the lie that you’re lazy)
It may seem counter-intuitive, it might feel a little awkward, even scary, but slowing down can be one of the most life changing steps to take around your goals for wellness. FOR REAL. I’m going to apply the concept to eating because it is a beautiful and powerful place to start.
Slow Down and Savor Your Meals: Ok, I’d love to live in France where you stop mid-day and enjoy a very leisurely meal, wouldn’t you? Well that isn’t reality but we can learn something from those that really know how to enjoy their food.
I encourage you to….. stop eating at your desk, stop eating on the run, give your body your mind the FULL pleasure of enjoying that meal. This doesn’t require more than 15 minutes out of your day. If you have more time take it!!
- Stop when you realize you’re hungry.
- Take a few relaxing breaths before you eat.
- Savor your food, eat slowly and stop when you’re satisfied.
- Eat outside, at your favorite table in the cafeteria, enjoy some music on your iPod.
- Make this a pleasurable & restorative break in your day. You deserve it!!!
WHY? [so many benefits]
- When we eat fast, our body can’t use this fuel and even healthy food can turn to fat. (Yup, it’s scientifically proven).
- When we give ourselves a break in the middle of our day, our brain has a chance to process, slow down and get refreshed.
- When you eat more slowly you will be more in tune with your appetite so you’re not overeating at meals.
- When we choose to slow down at meals times during our day, we reduce the experience of physical stress.
HOW? [take a few new steps]
- Honor when you’re hungry so that you aren’t starved when you eat.
- Have healthy food on hand at work so that you look forward to stopping for lunch.
- Note the restaurants that work for your taste buds and convenience.
- Use grocery and fresh food delivery options if your time margins are small.