Good morning, I’m going to talk about decision making. Nothing will wear you out more than worrying about making the right decisions in your business.Let me repeat that. Nothing will wear you out more than WORRYING about the decisions in your business. Oh then let’s think about the time suck we all create languishing over previous decisions that have been made.
Some of this is normal human behavior, but again, I want to offer that leaning in to managing your mind around your decisions can make this a smoother, and much more effective process. I am all about preventing unnecessary suffering and I’m going to offer you some ideas to uplevel your decisions and all your thoughts around them.
As an owner, you make a lot of decisions during the day. The fatigue is real, but there is a quick way to get powerful mental relief around your decision making by getting into a healthier rhythm.
Creating a system that works for you around decision making is key. Many of our decision making moments can be really stressful because of the impact of our decisions. Decisions cost money, affect our team and our clients. Our brain can get overly trained, to overthink and worry around our decision making.
What is your decision making style?
Take some time to look at your process. There is no right or wrong way, the goal here is to help you to lean into what works for you and strengthen that process.
I have some suggestions for you.
- Do you. For real.What is your style?
Do you like to think about things? Do you do a lot of research? Do you make your decisions from your gut? Do you like to think about it? Do you like to think about things? Do you do a lot of research? Do you make your decisions from your gut? Do you love to do research on it? Do you need to hear from your mentors/advisors?
Lay out the steps for you. Look over recent decisions that were important to you and take a look at your process. When you come up against your next important decision, instead of being in a lot of angst over it you can trust and dig into your process. This can help you to make your decisions more quickly AND without it being an emotional drain.
- Shorten the process. Give yourself a timeline. 48 hours is a great time frame, any longer you may begin to forget some of the details or give your mind too much time to worry or brainstorm too much on it. Lean into your process but don’t linger. The value of shortening this timeline is key in preventing angst and a lot of worry. Give yourself time to think on things, oh think and worry you will. Get in a quicker rhythm of deciding and you’re going to have time for more important things. (this literally can create the space you’re craving in your calendar!!)
- You CAN change your mind. I want to remind you, you are the captain of your ship. Remind yourself that you can always change your mind or pivot if you don’t like the results of your decision. Certainly, there are decisions that have a lasting impact but I do think that many of us have a lot of judgment about changing our minds. It is not helpful.
- Prevent Story making:When we get into a swift rhythm or brain doesn’t have time to linger and create an ugly negative story around this decision. When your mind overthinks a decision, it creates a very dramatic story around it. If you find that you’re stuck in this loop. I have a suggestion. Truly, what is the worth thing that can happen in this decision. And then what? And then what? Don’t stop until you have exhausted what your brain is offering you will find that most of these worst case scenarios are VERY far fetched and just your mind being creative.
And last but not least here. Even if THE worst thing could happen…….could you handle it? Yes. I remember a very dramatic story I was writing with in my mind a coach led me through this process, I want to tell you the most empowering part of that was that even in this most extreme example of what could go wrong. I KNEW I’d be fine.
4. Honor your Values & Priorities: I’m going to go into this in another podcast more fully but this bears mentioning here. If you’re having a gut check that something isn’t right, honor it. Get more information. Love your reasons for even the most difficult decisions. When you love your reason, your why for something, even if it doesn’t turn out as you hoped, you know you did your best to honor what was important.
We cannot change the post but regret proofing can start making sure that we honor our decision making process. Regret proofing starts now by making decisions that you love, taking a lot of action instead of staying stalled, thi
Just as a reminder
- Lean into your style, systemize it
- Shorten the timeline
- Give yourself permission to change your mind
- Stop the dire storymaking
- Honor your values and what is most imp to you.
Have a great day and let me know that you are loving the podcast by leaving me a quick review on iTunes.