I had THE best conversation with my clients last week on our monthly group call. We discussed boredom, concentrating on our work, and how to stay motivated so we can get ALL the work done.
You know what we discovered?
We all have some very unhelpful thoughts when we want to take a break:
“You can’t take a long lunch or a break, you need to work ALL the time!”
“Oh don’t stop now, it will be so hard to get back to it.”
“You’re running a business, you need to work all the time.”
THESE ARE JUST THOUGHTS
They are not helpful.
What many VERY successful entrepreneurs are finding is that our work ethic needs a rest ethic. We need to follow their lead.
WE WERE NOT TAUGHT HOW TO REST AND REVIVE.
You might have to be brave and buck what your brain is in the habit of doing and teach it something new.
We intrinsically know that our brain and bodies need rest but our mind overrides it.
So this week, play around with this:
- Notice the chatter and argument in your head to KEEP AT IT even though you need a break.
- Ask what do I need right now?
- What do I need to give myself permission to do here?
Each client on the call gave themselves an assignment. Because they knew what they needed to give themselves permission to do:
- Go hit a bucket of golf balls in the middle of the day WITHOUT THEIR PHONE.
- Hit the grocery store or order Instacart and cook for themselves (even though they are cooking for 1)
- Stop work and walk to a local coffee shop, leaving notes on where they left off on their work.
Oh it sounds so simple.
It is, it’s the argument in our brain that makes it hard.
BUT WHAT IS SO WONDERFUL…..when we break our brain’s habit of arguing against something we really need, it isn’t as loud next time.