One thing that I have learned to do is to look at my negative thoughts, and my fear thoughts right in the eye. BTW, it is the last thing that I want to do. For real. I’m a positive, quick start, ‘let’s do this’ type of person.
There is an empowering process available to us if we take a look at what is on our mind, especially when we find that we are procrastinating, avoiding and spinning during critical working hours during our day. Ask why and not be afraid to write down every thought that comes to mind.
Use this Mind-hack when you find yourself worrying or complaining quite a bit about an issue. You’re trying to get out of the funk by telling yourself, “don’t think that way, be more positive.” But you can’t you’re so distracted. Just get curious and ask why, notice every thought that comes up.
Let me share some classic examples that have happened to me and I hear in my client calls all of the time…
- You’ve made a decision to try something new in your business. And your mind says, “This will never work”
- You’re taking time to take care of yourself (working out, etc) and not commuting into work first thing in the am. And you hear: “If you don’t work more hours, you are going to fail”
- When you are making a big investment in your business and instead of being excited you can’t help but think,“This is too much, are you sure?”
- You’ve had a rough conversation with a client. You actually turned things around but your mind is still freaking out with, “You did this wrong, they are going to leave for sure”
- You didn’t close a deal that you thought for SURE was a yes as you’re building your business and,. “Yup, this is never going to work”
These normal activities in your business feels like triggers but actually they serve to illuminate some of your thinking that you really didn’t realize what is going on.
The most effective thing you can do is look at those thoughts, right in the eye, note them and decide if that is what you’re going to believe going forward.
Decide if those thoughts are serving you. When you decide not to believe every thought that comes your way, you’ve neutralized the fear, worry and angst.
It’s a brainhack of taking your power back in the middle of your day.
How does this work?
Notice when you’re worried, spinning and not getting much done.
Stop for a minute.
Ask why? Why am I upset?
Write down every thought that comes to mind.
You’ll quickly understand why you’re upset.
Remember you can choose to believe them or not.
Literally, cross out the thoughts that are not serving you today and