There is NOT one business owner that I’ve met that wants to see results slowly come in the door. Not one, but your brain and your emotions can get in the way as you make a commitment to do just that.
What You’ll Learn From this Episode:
- Our minds are pre wired to keep us from danger and keep us safe. This can go into overdrive when you do something new.
- How we create more will always be in direct correlation with how well we manage our mind.
- You have a choice to ignore and let that fear emotion have an effect of creating procrastination OR I can stop, breathe through it and honor my intentions and brave action more often.
I’m just thrilled that you’re here with me because I have a subject that is near and dear to my heart to share with you. Today is all about getting the results you want, faster and helping you to identify what might be slowing you down. Yup this is the Fear podcast and what to do about it.
There is NOT one business owner that I’ve met that wants to see results slowly come in the door. Not one, but your brain and your emotions can get in the way as you make a commitment to do just that: To increase your revenue, serve more clients, to add a new product line or service in your business, to change your prices or to narrow down the type of client you’ve decided to serve (or not serve). All of these decisions can trigger emotions that slow us down.
Remember, every thought creates a feeling/emotion/vibration in your body. And those feelings create action or inaction. And fear can be the crappiest one when it comes to taking brave action, and might I say most true revenue producing actions are pretty good at creating fear. Those bold asks, writing about what you’re passionate about, being really bold with a client.
Our minds are pre wired to keep us from danger and keep us safe. This can go into overdrive when you do something new. What I want to do for you today is give you a tool, a process to see where YOU can have and even in the present where you DO have more control over your results.
As an owner, There is nothing like the brain drama that goes on when we really decide to start a business and begin to market and let others know about it. I, like any new business owner, was constantly getting overwhelmed by fear and a lot of frustration as I showed up to my first networking events and writing my first blogs and offers. I kept pushing through, showing up strong and confident. But wow, the results came so slowly. And it was pretty miserable. Lots of fear and lots of procrastination. I did NOT understand what was going on, so I want to help you with this fear cycle that can happen for you.
Because that fear, coming from the thoughts “that it’s never going to work” “you’re not good enough” and host of thoughts just like that, when those thoughts are not identified or managed, they had an effect, every single time. I innocently thought that as my business became more mature that I was done with fear and overwhelm. Uh no!
How we create more will always be in direct correlation with how well we manage our mind When we are freaked out and triggered by fear, on the regular, we slow down true revenue/client producing results.
Quick Process……Simplified so you can apply it right away.
Three simple steps.
Create a Hyper Awareness of this pattern and not make it mean anything about you that your’e procrastinating
Learn to Calm Down vs Run/Distract/Procrastinate
Honor that calendar, that brave phone call that project and Get it Done
- Create almost a hyper awareness of what YOU do when you’re in fear. The goal here is to be onto this fear response pattern so quickly that you stop procrastinating, waiting and a host of other reactions and just GET TO WORK. I’ll share my thoughts so you can start seeing where yours might be.
- It is pretty clear to me:
- Crabby with my husband or others
- Triggered by others success
- Sit down to do something and immediately think I’m hungry
- Move it to another time (don’t feel like it)
- Just need a break ( SM, phone calls in the middle of the work time)
Fear and procrastination are evil twins in this pattern, so being onto when you are procrastinating (delaying any action because you’re not feeling it) is key. Just keep watching for it and ask yourself, what is up here? get super curious.Not judgmental about it.
- Learn even Decide to calm yourself down. Not by playing candy crush and heading to your pantry but to truly understand how to be WITH YOURSELF in these moments. Start noticing your breath. Start identifying where you feel this stress ball. Describe it, let it move by slowly allowing it and letting it move through your body. THIS is the most powerful way to move on, I promise. But it will be the part you resist. This will be where you will need to have the courage to allow a very crappy emotion that makes you instinctively want to run. It takes practice but is such a powerful way to keep moving forward and take brave action
- Honor your plans No Matter What that triggered fear in the first place and GET IT DONE
Many people tell me that they are having the hardest time honoring their calendar. I think this fear/procrastination cycle is at play most of the time. Now I really don’t recommend pushing through, when you’re feeling fear. I highly recommend step 2 FIRST. You have an opportunity to show up with whatever you’re up to in high nervous energy OR after breathing through, understanding that you’re in a fear trigger, to show up in a much more grounded confident manner. It creates results faster to take the time to do step 2. However, #3, taking action anyway is also part of busting the procrastination cycle. When your brain sees that you’re ignoring the fear trigger it actually will stop piping up so loudly, trust me, it does help that crappy innervoice to shut up.
Again, Create a hyper awareness of when you’re in fear by watching your actions of procrastinating and doing anything but what you set out to do.
2 breath the emotion of fear through your body and THEN honor the action you want to take
I am all about bonuses. Now, you want this work of awareness to REALLY pay off? Reward yourself. I have a simple way, I have a jar full of beautiful glass pebbles. And I have a dish next to them. Every time I take a brave action and stop procrastinating something, I give myself a pebble. It adds up. The brain loves reward and I treat it like my pat on the back every single time.
What if the number of pebbles correlated with revenue and new clients. I know it does. We do get in our own way but all that is happening is I’m thinking a thought, that creates fear. I have a choice to ignore and let that fear emotion have an effect of creating procrastination OR I can stop, breathe through it and honor my intentions and brave action more often.