It’s a good question, does overwhelm need to be ‘solved for’ in our day to day work?
I do believe it does. What I’m seeing in owners is the way we lovely, powerful overachievers solve for overwhelm (I’m raising my hand here) is we do busy work that makes our brain THINK we’re solving for the overwhelm.
But we’re NOT getting done what is really important to us in those overwhelming moments.
What does THAT do?
This BUILDS more overwhelm. Damn straight. This is the truth and then we’re disappointed and mad at ourselves that we didn’t get what is important to us done.
Try this the next time overwhelm visits your day:
- Notice that rush of overwhelm and brain response. “This is too much.”
- Breathe (really slowly until you’re physically calmed down).
- Remind yourself this overwhelm is just a feeling.
- Remember: Overwhelm isn’t wrong, it’s normal.
- Decide and choose 3 things that are KEY to get done today.
Overwhelm is going to visit us, how we manage it creates either more of it OR moves us back to a focused, productive state.
Let me know how this works for you next time.